Community Supports (Formerly Day Program)
DEH believes Community Supports/Day Programs are highly beneficial. Within each program, the treatment and activities a person receives is individualized.
Community Supports/Day Program is support provided by a Direct Support Professional in order to increase or maintain a person’s ability to successfully engage in inclusive social and community relationships and to maintain and develop skills that support health and well being. This is a habilitative service with a focus on community inclusion, personal development, and if necessary support in areas of daily living skills.
Community Supports is flexible, responsive, and consistent with the persons personal plan.
The location of the service and staffing level may vary in order to allow for a mix of individualized and group services. The average staff-to-member ratio for Community Supports/Day Program is for each program location, there is one staff to three consumers.
DEHI Community Supports accepts individuals who:
- Are funded for program hours through the MaineCare waiver, FSDH, or private pay
- Are 18 years old or older
- Has Mental Retardation or Autistic Disorder
- Are able to maintain stable/safe behaviors during program hours
Activities are provided throughout Penobscot and Hancock counties. Transportation to and from activities once at a DEHI site is provided. Downeast Horizons Community Supports/Day Programs are located:
- Bar Harbor – MDI Center
- Ellsworth – Ellsworth Center Day and Evening Programs
- Brewer – Brewer Center Day and Evening Programs